Your planned gifts can create excellent tax advantages; we recommend that you speak with your financial advisor to help determine which method is most advantageous to you from a tax perspective. We encourage you to choose the type of gift that best suits your needs and interests.
We Honour Your Gift
Your gift will be permanently honoured by Tafelmusik and will be remembered in many ways. Every time a musician steps on stage, an audience member experiences a concert, or a child hears great music for the first time, your legacy will have a living impact.
Patrons making a bequest or other legacy gift become partners with us in building a foundation for the future of Tafelmusik, and we invite you to become a member of our Legacy Society.
Types of Legacy Giving
Wills are the central pillar of estate planning. A gift by will, known as a bequest, provides the opportunity to create a legacy for Tafelmusik. Bequests are typically made as a:
- Specific dollar amount, or a piece of personal property
- Share or percentage of your estate
- Residual amount, after other specific bequests are fulfilled
Benefits of making a bequest:
- Your estate receives favourable tax treatment, since you may claim the bequest on your final tax return, equal to up to 100 per cent of your net income in that year
- You have use and control of the asset in your lifetime
- A bequest may be altered if your circumstances change
A gift of life insurance is an inexpensive way to create a significant legacy at Tafelmusik. A modest annual premium paid over time will result in a significant future legacy.
- Donate an existing policy and receive a donation receipt for the net cash surrender value (less any outstanding policy loans) and any premiums paid (after the date of transfer of ownership to Tafelmusik). A portion of the cash value is taxable, but would be offset by the donation tax credit
- Donate a new policy and receive a donation receipt for any premiums paid after the date of transfer of ownership to Tafelmusik
- Assign Tafelmusik as the beneficiary of your policy, or the life insurance policy from your employer, and your estate will receive a donation receipt equal to the death benefit proceeds that Tafelmusik receives
Benefits of making a gift of life insurance to Tafelmusik:
- Receive a donation receipt
- Cost-effective way of making a significant future gift with modest premiums today
Creating a Gift Annuity is a method you can utilize to develop a significant legacy for the future, while receiving a stable lifetime income stream, with an immediate tax savings.
If you are 70 years or older and still require income from your assets, you can incorporate a charitable gift annuity as part of your estate plan. A charitable gift annuity allows you to give a gift, save tax, and increase your income.
Here’s how it works:
- You make an irrevocable contribution of $10,000 or more for a gift, plus annuity
- A portion of the funds, as determined by you (minimum 25%), becomes an immediate gift to Tafelmusik
- The remaining funds are used by Tafelmusik to purchase an annuity from an insurance company, which will meet the gift annuity income obligation to you
- The annuity income depends on your age and the size of your contribution
The benefits of Creating a Charitable Gift Annuity:
- Increased Income – The income from the annuity may be higher than a fixed income investment
- No management required – The annuity requires no management on your part. You do not have to watch investments, interest rates, maturity dates and so forth. Your payments are sent to you automatically and regularly
- Guaranteed income for life – The annuity is guaranteed; it will continue as long as you live, no matter what happens to the economy or interest rates
- Spouses can benefit – You may choose a joint-and-survivorship annuity that continues as long as either spouse lives
- Donation receipt – You will receive a donation receipt for the amount of the gift portion to Tafelmusik, which will result in a tax credit
The renewal of Trinity-St. Paul’s Centre in 2014 was made possible with support from individual donors like you! The hall now features completely new seating on the main floor and refurbished seats in the balcony. Name a seat or pew with an attached plaque as a meaningful way to directly contribute to Tafelmusik’s concert programming, or as a way to permanently commemorate a loved one.
- Gifts of $2,500 – A name plaque on an Orchestra seat
- Gifts of $1,000 – A name plaque on a Centre Balcony seat
- Gifts of $500 – A name plaque on a Side or Rear Balcony seat